How it Happened
Rhode Island suffered it third straight 3-0 loss, falling at Davidson Sunday afternoon.
After dropping the first set 25-17, the Rams battled the Wildcats tough in the second and third sets, but lost both 25-23. Over the course of the final two sets, Rhody and Davidson were tied 25 times and traded the lead 13 times.
Neither team led by more than three at any point in the second set. A Gabrielle Shilling kill gave URI a 21-20 advantage late, however the Wildcats had set point after a 4-1 push. A kill by Claire Chaplinsky got Rhody back within one at 24-23, but Davidson's Sydney Champaigne delivered a set-clinching termination to put the home team up 2-0.
Rhode Island led 12-8 midway through the third set. Davidson managed to tie the score at 12-12, 13-13, 14-14, 15-15 and 17-17 before eventually pulling ahead 18-17 on a service ace by Elise Edman. A bad set by Champaign later put Rhody back on top 20-19, but the Wildcats outscored the Rams 6-3 down the stretch to complete the sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomores Gabrielle Shilling and Mariah Paulette each had nine kills for the Rams.
- Sophomore Ella Ratzloff led Rhody with a match-high 21 digs.
- Senior Hazel Brown was the only other Ram with double-digit digs as she finished the day with 11.
- Junior Annie Ell led all players 37 assists. She also added two service aces.
- Freshman Claire Wagner recorded eight kills and eight digs.
- Redshirt junior Natale Zanellato added sevin kills.
The Rams return home to host Saint Louis (Friday) and Dayton (Saturday) next weekend.