How it Happened
Rhode Island faltered in a three-set loss to Saint Louis Saturday afternoon at Chaifetz Pavilion. The Rams finished with season-lows in both hitting percentage (.093) and total kills (27).
Rhody grabbed eight of the first 10 points in the opening set and did not trail until the Billikens closed on a 9-0 tear to win it 25-18.
The second set began in similar fashion, with URI scoring first and remaining on top until SLU tied the score at 6-6. The teams traded the next few points, until an Annie Ell service error gave Saint Louis the lead for good at 9-8. The Rams kept it close, but were outscored 7-3 down the stretch to drop the set 25-17.
The Billikens finished things off with a 25-22 win in the third set to complete the sweep of Rhode Island.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Gabrielle Shilling recorded a team-high eight kills while also adding five digs and two block assists.
- Six different players had three kills - senior Hazel Brown, juniors Claire Chaplinsky and Natale Zanellato, sophomore Mariah Paulette and freshmen Claire Wagner and Gillian Klise.
- Wagner also had nine digs and a pair of service aces.
- Sophomore Ella Ratzloff led Rhody with 17 digs.
- Junior Annie Ell had 17 assists while freshman Adel Gage added seven.
The Rams are back in action next weekend when they hit the road for a pair of games at VCU (Friday) and Davidson (Sunday).