How it Happened
Rhode Island opened Atlantic 10 play with a five-set win over visiting Fordham Saturday evening. The game was an all-out battle as three of the five sets went to extra points to decide a winner.
Rhody's defense combined for 106 digs on the night, eight shy of the program record.
After Rhody won the first set 27-25, Fordham evened the match with a 27-25 win of its own in the second set. The visiting Rams then used a 25-20 third-set victory to pull ahead 2-1, but a 25-22 Rhody win in the fourth set evened the score once again.
URI established a 9-5 lead in the decisive fifth set, but saw that lead erased when a 5-0 Fordham run put the visitors on top 10-9. From that point on, neither team led by more than one point as the set was tied at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. Rhody finally got back-to-back points on a Claire Chaplinsky kill and an Ella Ratzloff service to claim the match with a 20-18 victory in the final set.
Overall, the match featured 17 lead changes and 37 ties.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Ella Ratzloff shattered Rhode Island's single-match record for digs with 42 on the night. The previous record of 34 was set last season, by Olivia Budinich, in a 3-2 loss to Davidson (Oct. 21, 2018).
- Ratzloff also recored two assists and a pair of service aces.
- Junior Annie Ell turned in her second consecutive match with 60 assists. She also had 14 digs, four block assists, two kills and two service aces.
- Sophomore Abby Fillion recorded a career-high 16 digs.
- Freshman Claire Wagner was the fourth Ram to finish with double digits in the digs column as she registered 17. She also added eight kills and a pair of block assists.
- Sophomore Mariah Paulette had 11 total blocks, one shy of tying URI's single-match record. Two of those blocks were solos. She also had eight kills on the night.
- Redshirt junior Natale Zanellato matched her career high with 19 kills.
- Junior Claire Chaplinsky had 13 kills, two digs and two block assists.
- Senior Hazel Brown nearly double-doubled as she had nine kills and nine digs with four block assists.
- Freshman Gillian Klise recorded seven kills and three blocks.
Rhode Island is back in action next weekend with a pair of road games at Dayton (Friday) and Saint Louis (Sunday).