How it Happened
Rhode Island saw its three-match win streak come to an end with a five-set loss to Boston College Friday night.
The Eagles jumped out to a quick lead, making easy work of the Rams in a 25-13 first-set victory.
BC rode the momentum into the second set, building an early 9-5 lead. From there however, the Rams went on a 13-2 run - capped by consecutive aces from Claire Wagner - to pull ahead 18-11. But seven straight points by the Eagles knotted the score back up at 18 apiece. From that point, it was back and forth the rest of the way as URI and BC tied the score at 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28 before a Hazel Brown kill and an Eagles' error ended the set with Rhody on top 30-28.
The third set was more of the same as the teams tied the score 11 different times. With Rhody leading 18-16, a 7-4 Boston College push put the Eagles up 23-22. Back-to-back kills by Gabrielle Shilling and Hazel Brown then put the Rams in a set-point position, which they got on a ball-handling error by BC's Trey Baum.
Boston College evened the match in the fourth set, opening on a 12-3 tear and never allowing Rhody to get back in it. The Eagles' 25-16 win evened the match at 2-2 and forced a decisive fifth set. There, BC opened up a 6-1 lead and never allowed Rhody to get closer than two points (6-4). The Eagles kept their foot on the gas and coasted to a match clinching 15-7 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Hazel Brown recorded a team-high 15 kills and added 13 digs and three assists.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Shilling also double-doubled, finishing the match with 13 points, 11 dig and four block assists.
- Junior setter Annie Ell was the third Ram to double-double as she recorded 32 assists and 14 digs.
- Freshman Claire Wagner and sophomore Ella Ratzloff nearly double-doubled as well. Wagner finished the night with nine service aces and 11 digs while Ratzloff added 27 digs and nine assists.
- Wagner's nine service aces were the second most ever by a Rhode Island player, and the most since Sue Scott set the URI record of 11 during the 1986 season.
- Freshman Gillian Klise led Rhody with five block assists.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday night when they host Bryant at 7 p.m. The match will be televised on Cox/Yurview.