How it Happened
Rhode Island claimed the opening game of the 12th annual Art Carmichael Invitational, defeating Albany in three sets.
It was all Rhody in the first set as the Rams jumped out to a 10-3 lead and never looked back. The Great Danes fought their way back and managed to trim the gap to four points at 21-17, but that was as close as the set would get as Rhody cruised to the 25-21 win.
Set #2 was a back and forth battle that saw eight ties and four lead changes. Albany led late in the match, at 20-19, but Rhody claimed five of the next seven points - including back-to-back kills by Gabrielle Shilling and Hazel Brown - to push the advantage to 2-0.
The Great Danes would not go quietly though, challenging Rhody in a tight third set that went down to the wire. Again though, the Rams used a strong finish to close the book, outscoring Albany 5-1 down the stretch for the 25-22 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Gabrielle Shilling led the Rams with a match-high 14 kills and two service aces. She also added six digs and four block assists.
- Senior Hazel Brown recorded the lone double-double of the match, finishing with 12 kills, 10 digs and a pair of block assists.
- Redshirt junior Natale Zanellato was the third Ram to register double-digit kills with 10. She also had two block assists.
- Junior Annie Ell recorded 35 assists, four digs, two block assists and one service ace.
- Sophomore Ella Ratzloff led all players with 21 digs.
The Rans are back in action at 7 p.m. tonight when they take on Boston College.