How it Happened
Rhode Island (7-12, 1-6 Atlantic 10) dropped its fourth straight match as it was swept at Dayton, 25-15, 25-12, 25-18 Sunday afternoon.
Dayton (16-5, 7-1 A-10) dominated from the outset, hitting .300 as a team in the opening set. The Flyers allowed Rhode Island just five kills while taking the set 25-12. The offense improved in the second set, as Dayton hit .447, getting 19 kills with just two errors.
Rhode Island stayed close early in the third set and was tied 11-11. However, the Flyers went on a 4-1 run to open a lead that helped them coast to the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato, and freshmen Gabrielle Shilling and Zoe Staats each had five kills to lead Rhode Island.
- Zanellato added six digs.
- Senior Lauren Pick had 17 assists to go with seven digs.
- Freshman Ella Ratzloff led the Rams with nine digs.
- Dayton hit .412 as a team, compared to .085 for the Rams.
Rhode Island returns to Keaney Gymnasium for its first home match of October when it hosts VCU Friday night at 7 p.m.