How it Happened
Rhode Island (7-8, 1-2 A-10) beat Duquesne 3-0 Saturday night, earning its first Atlantic 10 victory of the season.
The Rams started the first set strong as three straight kills by Natale Zanellato capped a 12-6 run that gave Rhody an early six-point advantage. Duquesne (6-10, 1-3 A-10) later answered to get within two after three consecutive points cut Rhody URI's lead to 22-20. The Rams claimed the next two points but three straight Rhody errors put the Dukes back within reach at 24-23. Gabrielle Shilling then delivered the set-winning kill to give a 1-0 lead.
Rhody had another hot start in the second set, jumping out to an 8-5 lead and then scoring eight consecutive points to push it to 16-5. Duquesne responded with five unanswered points, and later got within five (19-14) but could not close the gap to more than five as Rhody eased it way the 25-19 victory.
Rhode Island opened a 13-8 lead in the third set, but the Dukes clawed their way back and pulled ahead 17-16 after consecutive service aces by Claire Boe. The teams traded the next few points before URI took over the lead for good on another kill by Shilling. Annie Ell later served up a match-clinching ace to complete the 3-0 sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Mariah Paulette and redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato each had 11 kills on the night. Zanellato also added seven digs and three block assists.
- Junior Jenna McGuire had eight kills and seven blocks, including one solo.
- Freshman Gabrielle Shilling recorded a career-high 10 kills and added three blocks.
- Senior Lauren Pick finished the night with 41 assists and 10 digs for her eighth double-double of the season.
- Senior Olivia Budinich led all players with 15 digs.
- Senior Hazel Brown had a career-high seven kills.
Rhode Island hits the road for a pair of matches next weekend. The Rams will play at George Washington on Friday (7 p.m.) and George Mason on Saturday (5 p.m.)