How it Happened
Rhode Island (4-4) pushed its win streak to four with a 3-1 victory over New Hampshire (2-6) in Friday's third match of the Art Carmichael Invitational. The Rams established control early on, winning a tightly-contested first set 25-21 and claiming the second set by the same score.
With Rhody rolling, New Hampshire slowed the momentum a bit in the third set, snapping URI's streak of five consecutive set wins with a 25-18 victory that made it a 2-1 game.
Rhode Island eliminated any UNH hopes of a comeback in the fourth however, jumping out to a 12-5 lead and never looking back. The Rams prevented the Wildcats from finding any sort of rhythm the rest of the way as they coasted to a match-clinching 25-16 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Claire Chaplinsky (13), junior Jenna McGuire (11), freshman Mariah Paulette (11) and redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato (10) each finished with double digits in the kills column.
- Paulette and Claplinsky also added four blocks apiece. McGuire finished with three, as well as a match-best three service aces.
- Senior Olivia Budinich posted a team-best 19 digs to go with a pair of aces.
- Senior Lauren Pick double-doubled, finishing the night with 44 assists and 12 digs.
- Freshman Ella Ratzloff and sophomore Annie Ell each chipped in with nine digs. Ell also recorded three assists.
The Rams return to Keaney Gym for the final match of the 2018 Art Carmichael Invitational Saturday at 7 p.m.