How it Happened
Rhode Island picked up its first sweep of the season, defeating Army West Point 25-22, 25-17, 25-22 in the opening game of the 2018 Art Carmichael Invitational. The Rams limited the Black Knights to a 0.95 hitting percentage on the afternoon.
In a tight first set which featured three lead changes and 12 ties, Rhody pulled away late. With the score tied at 17, a Natale Zanellato kill, followed by a Jenna McGuire ace, put the Rams back in front. An Army attack error later gave URI set point at 24-20, but the Black Knights scored the next to points to keep things close. After a Rhode Island timeout, Claire Chaplinsky delivered a set-winning kill to give the Rams an early advantage in the match.
The second set was all Rhody as the Rams claimed seven of the first 10 points, and pushed their lead to as many as 11, at 22-11. Rhody never trailed in the set, cruising to a 25-17 victory.
Army would not go quietly though. Leading 16-12 in the third set, the Black Knights allowed the Rams to storm back with an 8-0 run that gave them the lead for good. Army got back within two at 24-22, but Mckenzie Kiesle provided the Rams with a match-clinching kill on the very next point.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Claire Chaplinsky led the Rams with 14 kills while adding a pair of digs and three blocks, including one solo.
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato also recorded double-digit kills - for the fourth time this season - as she finished the match with 10.
- Junior Jenna McGuire hit an impressive .778 for the match, notching seven kills on nine swings with no errors.
- Senior Lauren Pick contributed 33 assists and nine digs.
- Senior Olivia Budinich had a team-high 11 digs. Sophomore Annie Ell added six to go along with a pair of service aces.
The Rams are back in action this evening when they host New Hampshire at 7 p.m.