Posted: Aug 22, 2018
Friday - 11:00 a.m. - vs. Loyola Marymount
Friday - 6:00 p.m. - at Temple
Saturday - 2:00 p.m. - vs. Hofstra
- Rhode Island begins the 2018 season with three matches at the Hilton Penn's Landing Temple Invitational.
- The Rams will open against Loyola Marymount on Friday morning (11 a.m.) before finishing the day with a 6 p.m. match against Temple. URI will close out competition against Hofstra, at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
- All matches will be played at Temple's McGonigle Hall in Philadelphia, Pa.
- The Rams are coming off a 2017 campaign in which they finished sixth in the Atlantic 10 with a 6-8 league record.
- Rhode Island was picked to finish sixth in the A-10 in this season's preseason poll.
- URI welcomes back nine players from last year's team, including senior Lauren Pick, who is the only returning player to have appeared in each of Rhody's 107 sets last season. She finished the year with 926 assists and 235 digs.
- Junior Jenna McGuire also brings veteran experience to this year's team, having finished her sophomore campaign ranked second on the team blocks (63) while also adding 169 kills.
- Senior Olivia Budinich enters her final year in Kingston with 675 career digs and 61 service aces in 280 total sets.
- Also returning will be senior Mckenzie Kiesle, junior Hazel Brown and sophomores Claire Chaplinsky, Sage Connors, Annie Ell and Kelsey Montgomery.
- Newcomers Tori Britton, Abby Fillion, Mariah Paulette, Ella Ratzloff, Gabrielle Shilling, Zoe Staats and Natale Zanellato will challenge for playing time as well.
Rhode Island vs. Loyola Marymount
- Friday's season opener will be the first-ever meeting between Rhody and Loyola Marymount.
- The Lions went 16-13 overall last year and 9-9 in the West Coast Conference.
- LMU was picked to finish third in the WCC this season.
- Junior outside hitters Megan Rice and Savannah Slattery both were named to the Preseason All-Conference team.
Rhode Island vs. Temple
- Rhode Island is 26-36 all-time against the Owls.
- The teams have not met since the 2012 season - Temple's last in the Atlantic 10. That year, the Rams and Owls split the season series with each team winning on its home court.
- Temple went 20-10 last season, with a 15-5 mark in American Athletic Conference play.
- This year, the Owls were picked to finish third in the conference.
- Irem Asci, Iva Deak and Dana Westfield all were named to the AAC Preseason All-Conference Team.
Rhode Island vs. Hofstra
- Rhody is 8-7-1 all-time against Hofstra.
- The Pride has won five of the last six meetings between the teams, dating back to the 1990 season. URI's lone victory in that stretch was a 3-0 win on Aug. 28, 2009.
- Hofstra finished the 2017 season 18-14 overall and 9-7 in the CAA.
- The Pride was picked to finish third in the 2018 CAA preseason poll.
- Laura Masciullo was named the league's preseason Player of the Year.