How it Happened
Rhode Island (10-13, 5-6 A-10) picked up a crucial road win, defeating Fordham (12-12, 4-7 A-10) Friday night in the Bronx. The victory snapped a three game slide for URI, which had lost five of its last six matches after going 3-1 to open the conference slate.
The Rhody defense was on point, limiting the Atlantic 10's top serving team to just three aces on the night. Rhode Island also forced Fordham into 23 attack errors - while committing just eight of its own - and held the Rams to a .112 hitting percentage on the night. Entering the match, Fordham had boasted the conference's third-best hitting percentage at .205.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal led Rhode Island with 12 kills on the night. She also added eight digs and one service ace.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist finished with 10 kills and five blocks, including one solo.
- Senior Jessie Blaze recorded 19 digs on the night - a season-high for a three-set match.
- Junior Lauren Pick had 33 assists, seven digs, two blocks and a pair of aces.
- Senior Rachel Lynne Cox added eight kills, five digs and three blocks while classmate Kylee Wolfe registered six kills, six digs, three blocks and a pair of service aces.
Stat of the Match
- 4 - The 3-0 victory is Rhody's fourth sweep of the season.
Rhode Island is back in action next weekend. The Rams will play at Dayton on Friday and at Saint Louis on Sunday.