How it Happened
After cruising to a 25-12 win in the opening set, Rhode Island saw La Salle even the match at 1-1 by claiming the second set 25-22. The Rams returned the favor in the third set, picking up a 25-22 win of their own to move back ahead 2-1.
URI (9-11, 4-4 Atlantic 10) found itself trailing 20-17 in the fourth set, but scored four of the next five points to tie it up at 21-21. Rhode Island pushed its lead to 24-22, but the Explorers called a time out and grabbed the next two points to level the score at 24 apiece. La Salle then had set point at 25-24, 26-25, 27-26, 28-27 and 29-28 before a Rhody attack error ended the set in favor of La Salle at 30-28.
The Explorers (11-12, 2-6 Atlantic 10) jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the fifth and final set, and remained on top until the Rams evened it up at 9-9. La Salle pushed its advantage back to three at 13-10 but three straight points from URI knotted it up once again, this time at 13-13. From there however, La Salle closed things out with a 3-1 push to win the set 16-14, as well as the match 3-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal set career-highs in both kills (20) and digs (18) for her fourth double-double of the season.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe also double-doubled for the Rams, finishing with 12 kills and 19 digs.
- Senior Jessie Blaze and junior Olivia Budinich each registered 19 digs as well. Blaze also added five assists and one service ace.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist recorded seven block assists, 14 kills, two service aces, a pair of digs and one assist.
- Junior Lauren Pick finished with 54 assists on the afternoon, one shy of her career-high. It marked her fourth match this season with 50+ assists. She also had four block assists, three kills and one service ace for the Rams.
- Sophomore Jenna McGuire collected eight kills, three digs and four blocks, including one solo.
- Senior Rachel Lynne Cox had seven kills, two digs and two blocks.
Stat of the Match
9 - La Salle's victory snapped Rhody's nine-match win streak in the all time series between the Rams and Explorers.
Rhode Island returns to action on Friday night when it hosts Davidson at 7 p.m.