How it Happened
Rhode Island (8-8, 3-1 A-10) opened the match on a tear, building an 11-point lead before George Mason even got on the scoreboard. The Rams remained in control through, staving off a late Mason push and claiming the set 25-17.
The Patriots (5-12, 1-3 A-10) jumped out to an 8-4 lead in the second set, but URI tied things up at 13-13 and never trailed again as a 25-18 victory sent the Rams into the break with a 2-0 advantage
URI finished things off in the third set, hitting a blistering .323 with 14 kills and just four errors on 31 total attacks, en route to the 25-17 victory and the three-set sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- As a team, URI combined for 12 service aces for the second time this season. The Rams also had 12 aces at New Hampshire on Sept. 16.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe served up a career-high five aces, tying her for the fourth-most in a single match in program history. She also had 11 digs, eight kills and one block assist.
- Freshman Annie Ell - who only saw action in the third set - added four service aces, seven assists and a pair of digs for the Rams.
- Seniors Rachel Lynne Cox and Marie Gillcrist each had seven kills. Gillcrist also recorded two aces and five blocks.
- Senior Jessie Blaze finished with a team-high 12 digs.
- Junior Lauren Pick recorded 22 assists, four digs, three blocks ant two kills.
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal and sophomore Jenna McGuire registered five kills each. McGuire also added three blocks - including one solo - while Lunde Fossdal had a pair of block assists.
Stat of the Match
- 9 - With the win, Rhode Island remains perfect in the all-time series with George Mason, improving to 9-0 against the Patriots.
The Rams are back in action next weekend when the host Saint Louis (Friday) and Dayton (Saturday).