How it Happened
George Washington (5-12, 1-2 A-10) scored four of the first six points on the night, taking an early 4-2 lead to open the match. Rhode Island (7-8, 2-1 A-10) responded with a quick 6-0 run however, to move front 8-4. The Colonials came back and kept it close, but could never reclaim the lead. A GW service ace tied the set at 23-23, but Live Lunde Fossdal followed with a kill and then clinched the set with a service ace.
The teams traded points throughout the beginning of Set #2, with George Washington looking to pull away after building up a 14-10 lead. However, a 9-3 push put the Rams back in front at 19-17. The Colonials managed just two more points the rest of the way, sending URI into the break with a 2-0 advantage.
GW cruised to a third-set victory as Rhode Island never let in the set. A Marie Gillcrist kill got the Rams within one at 14-13, but the Colonials closed things out with a 9-4 run to make it a 2-1 game.
The fourth set was all Rhode Island, with the Rams taking a commanding 9-3 lead and never letting the Colonials back in. Ahead 20-16, the Rams ended it with five consecutive points to claim the match by a score of 3-1.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal and senior Rachel Lynne Cox led the Rams with 10 kills each. Lunde Fossdal also added seven digs, two blocks and a service ace while Cox had a pair of blocks and two digs.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist led all players with six blocks on the night. She also chipped in with seven kills.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe registered seven kills as well, to go along with nine digs, two block assist and one service ace.
- Junior Lauren Pick finished with 33 assists and 12 digs on the night, for her seventh double-double of the season.
- Junior Olivia Budinich had two service aces, eight digs, three assists and one kill for the Rams.
- Senior Jessie Blaze led the team in digs, with 14. Like Budinich, she also recorded a pair of service aces.
Stat of the Match
- 310 - Senior Marie Gillcrist finished the night with six block assists, giving her 310 for her career and moving her up to seventh all time on URI's career block assists list.
The Rams return to Keaney Gym to host George Mason at 4 p.m. on Saturday.