How it Happened
Facing a three-set sweep, Rhode Island clawed its way back from a 2-0 deficit and claimed sets three (25-23) and four (25-18) to tie the match up at 2-2.
The Rams jumped out to a 4-2 lead in the decisive fifth set, but New Hampshire responded with a 12-2 push to move ahead 14-6. Rhody managed just one more point the rest of the way - on a UNH service error - as the Wildcats used a 15-7 victory to clinch the match by a score of 3-2
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Live Lunde Fossdal led the Rams with 12 kills, while also adding 10 digs and a pair of blocks, including one solo.
- Seniors Kylee Wolfe (11) and Rachel Lynne Cox (10) also put up double-digit kills for the Rams.
- Cox also set new career-highs in both digs (15) and blocks (6) while Wolfe served up a career-best four aces.
- Sophomore Jenna McGuire contributed six blocks as well - also a new career-best. Two of her six total blocks were solos.
- Senior Jessie Blaze added 14 digs for URI.
- Senior Marie Gillcrist finished with three service aces, five kills, four blocks, three digs and one assist.
- Junior Lauren Pick had 37 assists, eight digs and five kills.
Stat of the Match
12 - Rhode Island recorded a season-high 12 service aces while limiting New Hampshire to just two. It's the most aces in a single match for URI in nearly three full years. Ironically, the last time the Rams had 12 aces in a match, they also did so in a 3-2 loss at New Hampshire, on Sept. 20, 2014.
Rhode Island closes out competition at the Holly Young Invitational when it takes on Siena at 4:30 p.m.