Kingston, RI - The Rhode Island Men's and Women's Track and Field teams will return to competition this Friday after a month-long winter recess. Both Rhody squads will compete in the NYC Gotham Cup Invitational in New York City. The meet will take place at the New Balance Track & Field Center at the Armory, beginning at 11:30 a.m. and running throughout the evening.
A live webstream of the Gotham Cup will be available here.
Doors open to the public at 11:00 a.m. and the price of admission for the event is $12.
Last Time on the Track
Men's Track and Field - December 13, 2014 - Jay Carisella T&F Invitational - Reggie Lewis Center, Roxbury, Mass.
- The Rams finished fourth of eight at the Jay Carisella Invitational in Massachusetts. Northeastern won the event, followed by Dartmouth and New Hampshire
- Senior captain Jalen Young won the 200m (21.66s) and 400m (48.90s) events, qualifying for the IC4A Championships in both. Young's times are the best in the Atlantic 10 so far this year and nationally, he ranks 17th in the 400m and 9th in the 200m.
- Sophomore DeAngelo Berry finished second in the 60m dash (6.94s) and third in the 200m dash (22.34).
- Freshman Marlon Montague finished third in the 400m and his time of 48.99 ranks 18th nationally.
- Senior Tyler Oliveira came in fifth in the 200m dash (22.64).
- Sophomore Jared Gray placed fourth in the 500m dash (1:06.11).
- Freshman Joseph DiPalma finished sixth in the 800m run (1:59.54).
- Sophomore Alexander McGrainer was the fifth to cross the finish line in the mile run (4:25.33).
- Freshman John Stallworth was fifth in the 60m hurdles (8.55s).
- Freshman Jacob Reilly and sophomore Jack Kahrs tied for fourth in the high jump with a height of 1.99m.
- Junior Ben Ezike finished third inthe triple jump with a distance of 14.46m.
- Sophomore Mahlik Handley had the fourth furthest distance in the weight throw (16.96m).
Women's Track and Field - December 6, 2014 - Alden Invitational - Brown University, Providence, R.I.
Non-scoring meet - Results/Recap
- Lauren Burke won the 500m event with a final time of 1:19.53.
- Mariah Claudio won the 300m event in a school record time of 40.30 seconds. The old record was 40.99 by Kalyn Sheehan set at Brown on 12/5/10. Teammate Dyshelle Pemberton finished second in 40.35 and also broke the old record.
- Emily Renna won the 60m hurdles event with a New England qualifying time of 9.05.
- Amber Sekoll won the pole vault with a personal best & New England qualifying clearance of 3.49m (11'5 1/4"), which makes her the 5th best URI individual all-time.
- The team of Micaela McPadden, Dyshelle Pemberton, Mariah Claudio and Lauren Burke won the 4x400 relay with a final time of 3:59.88.