How It Happened
Rhode Island (2-4) got straight-set victories from Erin Chratian, Tiara Haguchi, Mihaela Codreanu and Halah Davis as it rolled to a 6-1 victory over Providence Wednesday.
Playing at the Centre Court Tennis Club, the Rams got their first win of the spring by beating their in-state rival. Rhody got things started by winning at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to earn the first point of the day. Chratian and Codreanu teamed for the 6-3 win at No. 1, while Paulina Loredo and Higuchi won, 6-0 at the No. 2 position.
In singles action, Codreanu gave up just one game while winning at No. 3, while Higuchi and Davis allowed their opponents just two games each. Higuchi won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2, and Davis won her match, 6-2, 6-0. Chratian picked up the victory at No. 1, 6-4, 6-5.
Also earning a victory was Paulina Loredo. She held off Haley Gurski, 6-1, 3-6, 10-8 at No. 5 to grab Rhody's final point of the day.
1. E. Chratian/Codreanu (URI) def. Takenaka/Satkowski; 6-3
2. Loredo/Higuchi (URI) def. Gurski/Epstien; 6-0
3. Pitocco/Goyette (PC) vs. Haber/Davis; 6-4
1. Erin Chratian (URI) def. Risa Takenaka; 6-4, 6-5
2. Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Aidan Epstein; 6-1, 6-1
3. Mihaela Codreanu (URI) def. Sera Satkowski; 6-1, 6-0
4. Paulina Loredo (URI) def. Haley Gurski; 6-1, 3-6, 10-8
5. Halah Davis (URI) def. Natalie Pitocco; 6-2, 6-0
6. Mimi Dailey (PC) def. Sydney Chratian; 7-5, 5-7, 10-3
Rhode Island hosts Hofstra on Saturday, Feb. 23. The match begins at 4 p.m.
Rams Dominate Providence, Win 6-1
How It Happened