How It Happened
Rhode Island (14-25, 3-10 Atlantic 10) battled, but was swept by Saint Louis, dropping the series finale, 8-6, Saturday afternoon.
Saint Louis (13-29, 7-9 A-10) scored in each of the first four innings, building a 6-4 advantage entering the fifth inning. After neither side scored in the fifth, Rhody made it a one-run game when Ari Castillo singled to drive in pinch runner Franki Potocki.
However, a two-run homer by Gabbie Kowalik extended the Billiken lead to 8-5. The Rams got the potential tying run to the plate when pinch hitter Adriana Toro walked and Hannah DeSousa singled to start the inning. A one-out walk by Sarah Gunderson loaded the bases, and Erika Yeager brought Toro in with a groundout. A pop-up ended the game and sent Rhody to its fifth straight loss.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Ari Castillo doubled, singled twice and walked. It was her second three-hit game of the season, and her 11th multi-hit performance on the year.
- Castillo also drove in three runs, giving her a team-high 23 RBI.
- Sophomore Hannah DeSousa had two singles and one RBI. She has hit safely in four of her last five games, collecting six hits over the span.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite singled and scored a pair of runs. She had five hits and scored five runs over the three-game series.
- Junior Alex Pleasic singled twice and scored one run.
- Junior Sarah Gunderson singled, walked and scored one run.
- Junior Erika Yeager singled and drove in one run.
Rhode Island hosts Massachusetts in a doubleheader Wednesday, April 24. Game One begins at 1 p.m.