How It Happened
Rhode Island (14-24, 3-9 Atlantic 10) dropped both ends of a doubleheader Friday, falling 10-8 and 10-2 at Saint Louis.
Game 1 – Saint Louis 10, Rhode Island 8
Leading 8-5 heading into the bottom of the seventh inning, Rhode Island lost on a walk-off, three-run home run by Mackenzie Lawson. Saint Louis scored a pair of runs before Lawson lofted a high fly over the fence in right-center field to end the game.
Game 2 – Saint Louis 10, Rhode Island 2 (5 inn.)
A grand slam by Mackenzie Lawson sparked a six-run rally in the bottom of the second inning as Saint Louis powered past the Rams. Rhody's Faith Musselwhite led the game off with a solo home run, but that was the high point for URI. The Billikens (12-29, 6-9 A-10) hit four home runs en route to the doubleheader sweep.
Inside the Box Score
- In the first game, eight of the nine starters in the batting order had at least one hit, and seven scored at least one run.
- In addition to earning the win in Game One, junior Sarah Gunderson delivered a three-hit performance at the plate, hitting a double and two singles, driving in two runs and scoring once. The hits were the first three of Gunderson's career.
- Gunderson added a singled an an RBI in the second game.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite also had four hits on the day. She had three hits - including a triple and double - to go with a walk in the first game. In the nightcap, she had a solo home run.
- Junior Alex Pleasic had three hits, all singles.
- Freshman Ari Castillo had a double, single and a walk in the first game.
- Sophomore Hannah DeSousa reached base safely five times on the day. She had two singles and two walks in the opener, then singled and scored in Game Two.
Rhode Island and Saint Louis finish the series with a single game at 1 p.m. Saturday.