How It Happened
Three errors in the top of the seventh doomed Rhode Island as it fell, 5-4, to Fairfield Wednesday afternoon.
With the score tied 2-2 entering the seventh, Fairfield (13-12) scored three unearned runs in the top of the inning to pull ahead. Two dropped fly balls and a throwing error allowed the Stags to go up, 5-2.
Despite the rough top half of the seventh, Rhode Island (11-17) got the potential tying run on base. Alex Pleasic led off with a walk and eventually scored when Erika Yeager lined a two-out home run to center field. Faith Musselwhite followed with a single, but the rally ended with a strikeout.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Erika Yeager had a two-run home run and an RBI single.
- Over her last three games, Yeager is 4-for-8 with a home run, double and walk. She has raised her batting average by 37 points over the stretch.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite had a pair of singles.
- Freshman Ari Castillo hit a solo home run, her fourth of the season.
- Freshman Franki Potocki singled and scored one run.
- Juniors Erica Robles and Alex Pleasic each walked. Pleasic came around to score.
- Sophomore Riley Kernan pitched a strong game despite taking the loss. She went the distance, allowing just two earned runs.
- The five errors were a season high for the Rams.
Rhode Island hosts George Mason in a three-game series this weekend, starting with a doubleheader Saturday at noon. The teams will play a single game Sunday at noon.