How It Happened
Rhode Island (9-10) continued its hot play, beating Drexel and Villanova on Day Two of the Maryland Invitational Thursday. The Rams have now won seven of their last nine games over the last two weeks.
Game 1 – Rhode Island 12, Drexel 6
Rhody got three home runs – three-run shots from Susan Harrison and Erica Robles, plus a solo homer from Faith Musselwhite as it powered past Drexel. The surge helped the Rams build a 10-3 lead through four innings and then coast to the victory.
Game 2 – Rhode Island 5, Villanova 3
After falling behind 2-0 in the top of the first inning, Rhode Island stormed right back with three runs in the bottom of the first. After the first two batters were retired, the Rams got five consecutive singled to produce the scoring, giving Rhody the lead. Villanova tied the game in the top of the second, but then did not score the rest of the way. Susan Harrison homered in the bottom of the fifth, and Ari Castillo added a solo shot in the sixth to provide the winning margin.
Inside the Box Scores
- Freshman Ari Castillo went 5-for-7 (.714) with one home run, five runs scored and three runs batted in.
- Junior Erika Yeager was 3-for-6 with a walk, an RBI and one run scored over the two games.
- Freshman Susan Harrison homered in both games and had a combined five RBI. On the weekend, she has four home runs and eight RBI already.
- Junior Erica Robles was 3-for-8 with a home run and four RBI Friday. She also scored three runs.
- Junior Sarah Gunderson picked up her second win of the season (2-5) with 2.2 scoreless innings of relief against Villanova.
- Senior Becca Rogers (6-2) won her fifth straight start with 4.0 innings of work against Drexel.
Rhode Island finishes play at the Maryland Invitational with a single game against Saint Peter's Saturday at 12:30 p.m.