KINGSTON, R.I. – Coming off one of its best weekends of play in more than a decade, Rhode Island gets back to action Thursday at the Maryland Invitational. The Rams – who won four out of five games while earning the team title at last week's Charleston Invitational – will play UMBC, Maryland, Drexel, Villanova and Saint Peter's over a three-day stretch from Thursday through Saturday.
vs. UMBC – 3-8
Thursday will mark the first meeting between the teams since 2015, when they played twice during the UMBC Spring Classic. Rhody lost both contests, falling 8-6 and 5-2. Rhody defeated UMBC in both 2012 (9-1) and 2013 (8-1).
vs. Maryland – 0-5
Rhode Island is making its third appearance at Maryland-hosted tournaments. The Rams played in the 2007 Maryland Invitational and the 2012 Maryland Wounded Warrior Weekend. Rhody is still looking for its first win against the Terps. The last meeting between the schools came in 2015, an 18-3 win for Maryland at the JMU Dukes Invitational.
vs. Drexel – 3-3
It has been an even series through the years with Drexel, as both sides have won three of the six previous meetings. It will be the first game between the schools since 2014, when Drexel scored a 4-0 victory at the UMBC Dawg Pound Invitational.
vs. Villanova – 2-0
Friday's game will mark the first time Rhode Island and Villanova meet in softball in more than three decades. In 1986, the Rams swept Villanova in a doubleheader, winning 14-2 and 16-0.
vs. Saint Peter's – 1-0
Rhode Island won the only previous game it played against Saint Peter's. In 2009, the Rams had an 8-1 victory during the Rebel Spring Games.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Thursday, March 14
vs. UMBC, 12:30 p.m. - Live Stats
at Maryland, 5:30 p.m. - Live Stats
Friday, March 15
vs. Drexel, 12:30 p.m. - Live Stats
vs. Villanova, 5:30 p.m. - Live Stats
Saturday, March 16
vs. Saint Peter's, 12:30 p.m. - Live Stats
- Senior Becca Rogers is the reigning Atlantic 10 Pitcher of the Week after three straight dominant starts at the Charleston Invitational. She went 3-0 with a 0.74 earned run average, allowing just two earned runs in 19.0 innings of work. She also struck out 23 batters while walking six and allowing just seven hits.
- Rogers enters the week needing 10 strikeouts to tie Sue Foggo (1993-96) for third place in program history with 328 strikeouts.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal is the A-10's Rookie of the Week after she hit .400 (6-for-15) with one home run, one double, four runs scored and four walks over five games last week.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite has a six-game hitting streak during which she is batting .333 (7-for-21) with three runs batted in and three runs scored.
- Since committing a season-high four errors against Maine on Feb. 24, Rhode Island has made just one error over its last five contests.
- Rhody's pitchers have allowed just seven total runs over the last five games. In the first 10 games of the season, the Rams gave up an average of 5.8 runs per game and had one shutout. In the last five contests, URI is allowing 1.4 runs per game and has two shutouts.
- The Rams have drawn at least four walks seven times in 15 games this season, including each of the last four games.