How It Happened
Rhode Island got runners on base in every inning, but it was unable to get runs across, falling 4-0 at College of Charleston Friday night at the Charleston Invitational.
The Rams (3-9) had multiple runners reach safely in the second, third, fourth, sixth and seventh innings. In the sixth, Rhody managed to load the bases, but still could not get anyone home. For the game, URI left 10 runners on base, including eight in scoring position.
College of Charleston (10-9) got on the board in the bottom of the second when Gracyn Thrasher hit a two-run home run following a walk to Chandler Sparkman to start the inning. The hosts padded the lead in the fourth inning with an RBI double by Sparkman and a run-scoring single by Alondra Vicary.
Rhody managed to get runners on the corners in the seventh inning, but again came up empty, ending a frustrating day for the offense.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Sami Villarreal doubled and singled, picking up her second multi-hit game of the season.
- Freshman Susan Harrison singled and walked two times.
- Junior Caileigh Holland and senior Adriana Toro both singled and walked once.
- Junior Erika Yeager singled and had a sacrifice bunt.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite singled once and reached on an error.
- Freshman Ari Castillo drew one walk.
- Senior Julia Waraksy was again strong in relief, pitching 3.0 shutout innings. She scattered five hits and two walks, keeping the Rams in the game.
- Rhode Island did not commit an error defensively for the second straight game, and the fourth time this season.
Rhode Island plays twice Saturday morning at the Charleston Invitational. Rhody takes on Youngstown State at 9 a.m. then plays Marist at 11:15 a.m.