How It Happened
Rhode Island (2-8) fell behind early and could not rally as it dropped its sixth straight game, falling 11-2 to Maine in five innings Sunday.
The Black Bears (1-4) pounded out 12 hits off two Rhode Island pitchers, scoring once in the first, five times in the second three times in the third and twice more in the fourth. Rhody could not keep up with the steady offense of Maine.
Inside the Box Scores
- All six of Rhode Island's hits were singles.
- Freshmen Faith Musselwhite and Susan Harrison each had two hits. Musselwhite also scored a run.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal reached base safely in all three of her plate appearances. She had an RBI single and walked twice.
- Villarreal is batting a team-best .423 with a .529 on-base percentage.
- Junior Caileigh Holland walked twice and scored one run.
- Senior Rebecca Simms appeared as a pinch hitter and drew a walk.
- Freshman Ari Castillo had a single, while senior Adriana Toro had one RBI.
- Castillo has hit safely in all 10 games thus far.
- Junior Sarah Gunderson pitched one scoreless inning, striking out a pair of batters.
- Rhode Island committed four errors, which led to five unearned runs for Maine.
Rhode Island is off for two weeks. It next competes at the Charleston Invitational, where it will play games against North Carolina State, College of Charleston, Youngstown State, Marist and Bryant from March 8-10.