How It Happened
Rhode Island (2-7) got strong pitching in both games, but fell in games against UTSA and Lamar on the second day of the Cardinal Classic in Beaumont, Texas on Saturday.
Game 1 – UTSA 4, Rhode Island 0
A four-run rally in the third inning by UTSA (7-6) provided all of the in in Rhody's first game of the day. Three hits and one error keyed the frame. Rhode Island managed to get two runners on in both the first and fifth innings, but was unable to push any runs across.
Game 2 – Lamar 4, Rhode Island 1
A pair of errors in the bottom of the sixth inning doomed Rhody against Lamar. The Rams led 1-0 thanks to a run-scoring single by Ari Castillo that drove in Leah Krivitsky. However, with one out in the bottom of the sixth, two infield errors led to four Lamar runs, all unearned.
Inside the Box Scores
- Senior Julia Waraksy pitched 3.1 scoreless innings of relief against UTSA. She allowed just two hits and did not walk a batter. Waraksy also struck out two.
- Senior Becca Rogers (1-2) pitched her second complete game in four starts. She allowed no earned runs in 6.0 innings, lowering her ERA to 2.95. Rogers struck out four batters.
- Freshman Ari Castillo, junior Erica Robles and redshirt freshman Leah Krivitsky each singled against UTSA.
- Castillo added an RBI single in the second game, extending her hitting streak to nine games.
- Krivitsky walked and scored Rhode Island's lone run on the day against Lamar.
- Robles, freshman Susan Harrison and junior Erika Yeager added singles against Lamar.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal walked once in each game.
- Castillo and Villarreal have reached base safely in all nine games so far.
Rhode Island closes out the weekend with a single game against Maine on Sunday. First pitch is schedule for 12 p.m.