Game #1 - UTSA 10, Rhode Island 3
Rhode Island jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Sami Villarreal crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly by Erica Robles. UTSA used an RBI single to knot the score in the top of the second, but Rhody pulled back ahead in the bottom of the frame. There, Susan Harrison beat out an infield single and eventually scored on a base hit by Leah Krivitsky. A foul-out to right field by Villarreal then allowed Erika Yeager to cross the plate and make it 3-1 Rhody.
The Roadrunners got a leadoff home run to start the third inning, and later used a two-run fifth to take their first lead of the game at 4-3. UTSA went on to erupt for a six-run seventh inning, effectively putting the game out of reach as URI managed just one hit through the final three innings.
Game #2 - Lamar 2, Rhode Island 1
Trailing 2-0 through five and a half innings, Rhode Island finally got on the board in the bottom of the sixth when Ari Castillo sent a solo shot to left field to cut Lamar's lead in half at 2-1. The Rams stranded the tying run in the bottom of the inning however, and were retired in order to end the seventh.
Inside the Box Scores
- Junior Erica Robles went 3-for-6 on the day, doubling once and driving in a run.
- Freshmen Sami Villarreal and Susan Harrison each singled, doubled and scored a run. Villarreal also drove in one run.
- Freshman Ari Castillo had a pair of hits for the Rams, including her first career home run.
- Junior Caileigh Holland singled twice and walked once in four plate appearances.
- Sophomore reliever Riley Kernan was charged with the loss in Game #1, allowing eight runs on four hits and eight walks over three innings of work.
- Junior Sarah Gunderson went the distance in the nightcap. She gave up just three hits and one walk through seven innings, while striking out four.
The Rams return to the Cardinal Classic for another UTSA-Lamar doubleheader Saturday afternoon.