KINGSTON, R.I. – Rhode Island heads to Beaumont, Texas to play five games at the Cardinal Classic, hosted by Lamar. The Rams open with games against UTSA and Lamar on Friday and Saturday, then close out the weekend with a single game against Maine Sunday.
Rhody will be facing Lamar and the University of Texas-San Antonio for the first time. Maine is a regular opponent, as the Rams and Black Bears have played 16 times previously, with each side winning eight times. Rhode Island has won three of the last four meetings, including a doubleheader sweep last season.
THIS WEEK'S SCHEDULE
Friday, Feb. 22
vs. UTSA, 3:30 p.m. - Live Stats
at Lamar, 6 p.m. - Live Stats
Saturday, Feb. 23
at UTSA, 12 p.m. - Live Stats
at Lamar, 1:30 p.m. - Live Stats
Sunday, Feb. 24
vs. Maine, 12 p.m. - Live Stats
- Freshmen Sami Villarreal, Ari Castillo and Faith Musselwhite all carry five-game hitting streaks into the weekend.
- Musselwhite and Villarreal both batted .533 (8-for-15) during the first five games of the season. They also combined for eight runs scored and seven RBI.
- Musselwhite earned Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors after hitting two home runs, two doubles and one triple in the first weekend.
- As a team, the Rams are batting .290. Last season, Rhody hit .205 as a team.
- Rhode Island has drawn 14 walks on the season, while opponents have walked 12 times.
- Maine head coach Mike Coutts is the father of Rhode Island baseball player Jackson Coutts.