How It Happened
Freshman Faith Musselwhite homered twice and drove in four runs, but Rhode Island fell, 9-6, at UNC Wilmington on the final day of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Seahawk Softball Bash Sunday.
Rhode Island (2-3) got on the board first with redshirt freshman Leah Krivitsky's run-scoring single in the top of the second inning that drove in Musselwhite. After UNC Wilmington (6-5) scored twice in the third, Musselwhite had a solo home run in the top of the fourth to tie the game, 2-2.
The host Seahawks erupted for six runs in the bottom of the fourth inning to open an 8-2 lead. Rhode Island came right back with four runs in the top of the fifth inning, with the key hit being a three-run home run by Musselwhite. However, the Rams could not complete the comeback.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island's freshmen had 10 of the team's 11 hits on the day.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite was 3-for-4 with two home runs, one double, four runs batted in and three runs scored.
- For the weekend, she batted .533 with two home runs, two doubles, one triple and six RBI.
- Freshman Sami Villarreal doubled, singled, scored once and stole a base.
- Freshman Ari Castillo singled twice and scored a run.
- Freshman Susan Harrison singled and walked.
- Redshirt freshman Leah Krivitsky had the first two hits of her career. She singled twice, drove in one run and had a stolen base.
- Junior Erica Robles singled, scored one run and drove in one run.
Rhode Island closes out the weekend with a single game against UNC Wilmington on Sunday. First pitch is slated for 12:30 p.m.