How It Happened
Rhode Island (12-34, 3-16 Atlantic 10) struggled to solve Dayton's pitching as it fell 2-1 and 6-0 in a doubleheader against the Flyers (27-23, 14-8 A-10 Saturday afternoon.
Game One – Dayton 2, Rhode Island 1
Paige Julich's bloop single drove in Brianna Heller in the bottom of the first inning to give Rhode Island the lead in the opener. The score remained that way until Dayton tied it with a run in the top of the sixth. The Flyers got the winning run on a solo homer by Lisa Tassi in the seventh inning. That made a winner of Manda Cash (13-7), who pitched a complete-game one-hitter while striking out 12 batters.
Game Two – Dayton 6, Rhode Island 0
A pitcher's duel between Dayton's Jessica Weaver and Rhode Island's Sarah Gunderson materialized. Gunderson held the Flyers to one run over the first five innings, but Dayton broke through with two in the sixth and three more in the seventh. Meanwhile, Weaver scattered five hits and blanked the Rams, needing just 69 pitches for the shutout.
Inside the Box Score
- Between games, Rhode Island seniors Brianna Heller, Rachel Kuhlman, Bri Castro, Paige Julich and Kylie Shivery were honored. The five players are playing the final games of their careers for the Rams this weekend.
- Senior Paige Julich singled, walked and drove in one run in the first game. She added a single in the second game.
- Senior Brianna Heller was hit by a pitch and scored Rhode Island's lone run of the day in the first game.
- Senior Kylie Shivery, sophomore Erica Robles, senior Rachel Kuhlman and freshman Hannah DeSousa all had one single in the second game.
- Junior Becca Rogers gave the Rams a strong complete-game effort in the opener. She scattered five hits and struck out eight batters.
Rhode Island finishes its season with a single game against Dayton Sunday at 11 a.m.