How It Happened
Rhode Island (11-25) swept Maine (16-18) in a non-conference doubleheader Wednesday, winning a pair of tight games, 5-3 and 3-2.
Game 1 –Rhode Island 5, Maine 3
Trailing 2-1 in the bottom of the third inning, Rhode Island pieced together a four-run rally to take its first lead of the game. Melanie Martire opened the inning with a single, and Erica Robles followed with a double to move both into scoring position. A one-out single by Hannah DeSousa drove in Martire with the tying run. Rebecca Simms followed with a two-run double to put the Rams up 4-2. A groundout by Caileigh Holland brought in Simms to make it 5-2.
From there, pitchers Sarah Gunderson (4-6) and Alex Pleasic did the rest. Over the final six innings, Gunderson and Pleasic limited Maine to one run on five hits.
Game 2 – Rhode Island 3, Maine 2
Maine scored a run in the top of the first inning to take the early lead for the second straight game, but Rhode Island struck for three in the bottom of the third inning. Rachel Kuhlman started the rally with a single to left field and moved up a base on Holland's sacrifice bunt. An Adriana Toro single put runners on the corners, and Paige Julich executed a suicide squeeze bunt perfectly to bring Kuhlman in from third.
Heads up base running from Toro allowed her to move all the way to third on the play, and Julich stole second to put both in scoring position. Robles singled to center to drive in Toro, and Julich eventually came in on Erika Yeager's sacrifice fly.
Maine got one run back on Alyssa Derrick's home run to center field, but Julia Waraksy came on to pitch 2.2 scoreless innings of relief t preserve the victory for starter Riley Kernan (2-6).
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Paige Julich and sophomore Erica Robles led the Rhody offense with three hits, one run scored and one run batted in apiece. Robles had two doubles and one single, while Julich had one double and two singles.
- Redshirt sophomore Melanie Martire doubled, singled and scored once in the first game.
- Freshman Hannah DeSousa had two singled, two runs scored and one RBI on the day.
- Senior Bri Castro had two singles and also made a key defensive play in the second game. Leading off the top of the seventh, pinch hitter M.K. Livingston chopped a ball off the plate. Castro cut the ball off and threw on to first base for the first out of the frame.
- Junior Adriana Toro had two singles, one RBI and one run scored.
- Junior Rebecca Simms doubled, drove in two runs and scored once.
- Junior Erika Yeager and senior Rachel Kuhlman each singled once. Yeager had one RBI, while Kuhlman scored once.
- Junior Julia Waraksy picked up her second save of the season and third of her career in the second game. Sophomore Alex Pleasic recorded her first career save in the opener.
- Rhody's pitchers allowed just one walk and did not hit a batter during the doubleheader.
Stat of the Day
3.63 – Rhode Island's relief pitchers have a combined 3.63 earned run average over 61.2 innings of work this season.
Rhode Island hosts Saint Joseph's in a three-game Atlantic 10 series this weekend, starting with a doubleheader Saturday at noon.