How It Happened
Rhode Island (7-21) staked Sarah Gunderson to an early lead with four runs in the top of the first inning, and the sophomore pitcher took things from there as the Rams won 4-1 at Holy Cross Thursday.
Abby Fenbert walked to lead off the game and stole second to get into scoring position. Adriana Toro followed with a single to drive her in and get the Rams on the board two batters into the contest. Like Fenbert, Toro stole second and then moved to third on a wild pitch. After Kylie Shivery walked and stole second, Erika Yeager lofted a ball to right field for a sacrifice fly to drive in Toro. Yeager reached when the ball was misplayed. Paige Julich singled to bring in Shivery. Yeager eventually came around and scored on the second error of the inning for Holy Cross (7-20) to make it 4-0.
It was all Gunderson from there. She earned her second victory of the season by going the distance.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Sarah Gunderson scattered eight hits and struck out four batters to improve to 2-4 on the season.
- Freshman Abby Fenbert and senior Kylie Shivery each walked and scored one run.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager and junior Adriana Toro both singled, scored and drove in one run.
- Senior Paige Julich singled and drove in one run.
- Sophomore Caileigh Holland had one single.
Stat of the Day
5 – Rhode Island had a season-high five stolen bases. Abby Fenbert, Adriana Toro, Kylie Shivery, Paige Julich and Bri Castro each had one swipe.
Rhode Island hosts George Washington for a three-game series starting Sunday. The teams will play a doubleheader Sunday starting at 2 p.m. and then a single game Monday at 1 p.m. The series was originally going to begin Saturday, but has been pushed back due to expected poor weather.