How It Happened
Rhode Island dropped a pair of games Saturday at the Belmont/TSU Invitational. The Rams (2-18) were blanked by Belmont 5-0 and then fell to Samford, 5-2.
Belmont 5, Rhode Island 0
Belmont (18-4) used a four-run rally in the third inning to get all the scoring it needed for the victory. Rhode Island did not get its first hit until two outs in the fourth inning, as the Rams were not able to figure out Belmont pitcher Brooklyn Lee. Lee hurled a complete-game shutout, striking out four and allowing no walks.
Samford 5, Rhode Island 2
Paige Julich had a two-run double in the top of the sixth inning, but it was not enough against Samford. The Bulldogs built a 5-0 lead over the first five innings and held the Rams off for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Kylie Shivery, senior Paige Julich and redshirt sophomore Melanie Martire each had one double and one single on the day.
- Julich drove in Rhode Island's only two runs of the day.
- Sophomore Erica Robles singled and scored one run.
- Freshman Olivia Daniel had a double, and sophomore Erika Yeager had one single.
- Junior Rebecca Simms scored one run.
- Junior Julia Waraksy pitched 2.0 innings of scoreless relief.
Rhode Island closes out play at the Belmont/TSU Invitational with a single game against Tennessee State Sunday morning at 10 a.m.