How it Happened
Rhode Island (1-7) lost two games at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational Saturday, falling to Manhattan 6-3 before losing to Marist, 5-3.
Manhattan 6, Rhode Island 3
Both teams got two runs in the first inning. Rhode Island got a two-run home run from Kylie Shivery to take an early lead. Manhattan responded with a two-run home from of its own in the bottom of the inning, then scored four times in the bottom of the second to take the lead. Neither side scored over the final four innings.
Marist 5, Rhode Island 3
Tied 2-2 after three innings, Marist scored a single run in the top of the fourth and two more in the sixth inning. Rhode Island had its offense working early, but could not score through the middle innings until Kylie Shivery hit a solo home run – her second long ball of the day – in the bottom of the seventh. Unfortunately it was not enough as the Rams dropped their fifth straight game.
Inside the Box Scores
- Senior Kylie Shivery had a big day at the plate, delivering five hits, including two home runs, one double, three runs scored and three runs batted in.
- Shivery moved up Rhode Island's all-time list in a couple categories. With two home runs, she now has 14 for her career, tying Anne Kelsen (1990-91, 1993-94) for sixth place in program history. Shivery also moved into third place in team history with 88 RBI.
- Sophomore Erica Robles had a pair of doubles. She also drove in two runs.
- Freshman Abby Fenbert doubled, singled twice, scored one run and drove in one run.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager doubled and singled. The double was her fourth of the season.
- Freshman Hannah DeSousa made her collegiate debut, appearing as a pinch hitter against Marist and drawing a walk.
- Junior Becca Rogers had a strong relief outing against Manhattan, hurling 4.2 innings of scoreless work.
Stat of the Day
4 – Rhode Island batters are averaging four walks per game. Through eight games, the Rams have walked 33 times. Last season, Rhody drew 2.4 walks per game.
Rhode Island finishes play at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational with a game against Middle Tennessee. Game time is 2 p.m.