How it Happened
Rhode Island snapped an 11-game losing streak by beating Dayton in the second game of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon. The Rams (7-30, 4-12 Atlantic 10) took the second game 5-1 after dropping the opener 3-2.
Game 1 – Dayton 3, Rhode Island 2
The Flyers (25-20, 11-5 A-10) took the lead early with single runs in the second and third innings. Rhode Island finally broke through in the top of the sixth inning. Jenna Cubello led off with a single, and Kyle Shivery followed with her fifth home run of the season, tying the game 2-2.
After Rhode Island rallied to tie the game, Dayton won it in walk-off fashion. Manda Cash led off the bottom of the seventh with a double. Pinch runner Jaclyn Kweder advanced to third with two outs and came in with the winning run when Kailee Budicin delivered the game-winning single to right field.
Game 2 – Rhode Island 5, Dayton 4
Sophomore Becca Rogers carried a no-hitter into the fifth inning and the Rams withstood a late Dayton rally to get the victory.
Rhody broke a scoreless tie in the fourth inning. Jenna Cubello led off with a single and advanced when Erika Yeager hit a one-out single of her own. Eventually Paige Julich drove in Cubello with a fielder's choice groundout.
The Rams extended their lead with a three-run spurt in the top of the fifth inning. Walks to Bri Castro and Ali Summers got the rally going before a one-out single by Caileigh Holland loaded the bases. With two outs, Kylie Shivery drew a walk to force in pinch runner Rebecca Simms with a run. Erika Yeager followed with a two-run double on which pinch runner Brianna Heller and Holland scored, making it 4-0.
Rhody added an unearned run in the top of the sixth to push its lead to 5-0 as Rachel Kuhlman walked and eventually came around to score.
Rogers sailed until the top of the fifth, when Gabrielle Snyder led off the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run to get the Flyers on the board. Snyder struck again with a three-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the seventh to pull Dayton within 5-4, but Rogers struck out the final batter to end the game and give Rhode Island the win.
Inside the Box Scores
- Sophomore Becca Rogers earned her second win of the season by pitching her first complete game of the season. She struck out five batters in the victory.
- Freshman Sarah Gunderson also went the distance in the opener, allowing just two earned runs on six hits.
- Senior Ali Summers singled and walked three times on the day.
- Junior Kylie Shivery hit a home run, two singles and drove in two runs in the first game. She added one RBI in the second game.
- Senior Jenna Cubello singled and scored one run in both ends of the doubleheader.
- Freshman Erika Yeager doubled, singled and drove in two runs in the second game.
- Junior Paige Julich doubled and singled in the first game. She added one RBI in the second game.
- Junior Rachel Kuhlman walked and scored one run in the second game.
- Freshman Caileigh Holland singled and scored one run in the second game.
- Junior Bri Castro doubled in the second game.
- Sophomore Rebecca Simms appeared as a pinch runner and scored a run in the second game.
- Stat of the Day4 – Rhode Island recorded its fourth Atlantic 10 victory of the season. It is the most conference wins for the Rams since 2014.
Rhode Island and Dayton close out the three-game series with a single game Sunday at noon.