How it Happened
Rhode Island suffered a crushing loss, as St. Francis rallied from a five-run deficit to beat the Rams 6-5 in walk-off fashion Thursday night at the Liberty Softball Classic.
Rhode Island (1-11) jumped out early, getting three runs in the top of the first inning. Ali Summers led off the game with a single, and one out later Melanie Martire singled to put to runners on for Kylie Shivery, who blasted a three-run shot to left center for an early 3-0 lead.
The Rams extended the lead in the top of the third. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Paige Julich drove in Martire to make it 4-0. Danielle Gariglio's sacrifice fly brought in Shivery to further pad the lead.
St. Francis (17-8) threatened in the bottom of the fifth, loading the bases with one out on two singles sandwiched around a walk. Jordan Seneca walked with the bases full to get the Red Flash on the board. Sierra McKee drilled a two-out, three-run double to pull St. Francis within one run at 5-4.
The Red Flash got the potential tying run on to start the bottom of the sixth when Kassidy Troxell singled. With one out, pinch runner Meg Murzello moved into scoring position by stealing second base. However, Rhody's Sarah Gunderson got two groundouts to end the threat.
In the bottom of the seventh, McKee led off with a single, knocking Gunderson out of the game. Becca Rogers came on and induced a grounder, but a fielding error put runners on first and second with no outs. Hayley Norton followed with a two-run triple to end the game and send the Rams to their ninth straight defeat.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Kylie Shivery hit her first home run of the season in the top of the first, which also extended her hitting streak to six games. She also singled, walked and scored two runs.
- The long ball snapped a five-game homerless stretch for the Rams.
- Sophomore Melanie Martire singled, walked, was hit by a pitch and scored two runs. She has reached safely in 10 straight games.
- Senior Ali Summers singled twice and scored one run. Summers has reached base safely in seven consecutive games.
- Seniors Danielle Gariglio and Jenna Cubello each singled once.
- Freshman Erika Yeager and junior Rachel Kuhlman each walked once.
Stat of the Game
11 – Junior Kylie Shivery has 11 hits during her six-game hitting streak. She is batting .524 (11-for-21) during the stretch.
Rhode Island plays a pair of games Friday at the Liberty Softball Classic. The Rams play N.C. Central at 12:30 p.m. and then face Liberty at 5:30 p.m.