How it Happened
Rhode Island came up on the short end of a back-and-forth contest, falling 7-5 at Grand Canyon on the second day of the GCU Invitational Saturday afternoon.
After falling behind 3-0 in the first inning, the Rams (1-7) put together a three-run rally to tie the score. A double by Kylie Shivery and a single for Erika Yeager put runners on the corners. Paige Julich doubled in Shivery, and Jenna Cubello singled to drive in Yeager. An infield error allowed the third Rhody run to come in.
An inning later, Rhode Island scored two runs after two outs had been recorded. Shivery singled and Yeager followed with a double. Shivery scored on the throw from the outfield, and Yeager advanced to third. She came in to make it 5-3 when Julich delivered an RBI single.
Grand Canyon (15-1) got one run back in the bottom of the third, but the Rams held on to a 5-4 lead until the bottom of the sixth. With two outs, pinch hitter Megan Stevens drilled a three-run home run to pull the Lopes back ahead.
Rhode Island got the tying run to the plate in the top of the seventh when Ali Summers led off the frame with a single. However, a strike out, fielder's choice and groundout ended the contest.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Erika Yeager continued the torrid start to her career, picking up three hits. She doubled, singled twice and scored two runs.
- Yeager is now batting .450 (9-for-20) through the first eight games of the season.
- Juniors Paige Julich and Kylie Shivery each had a double and single for the Rams. Julich had two RBI, while Shivery scored twice.
- Senior Ali Summers singled twice, as Rhode Island had a season-high 11 hits.
- Senior Jenna Cubello singled, drove in one run and scored once.
- Sophomore Melanie Martire singled once.
Stat of the Game
0 – Rhode Island's batters did not draw a walk against GCU. It was the third time this season the Rams have not walked in a game. It was the sixth time Rhody has walked one time or fewer in eight game. On the season, opponents have a 40-8 edge in walks.
Rhode Island plays Nevada Saturday night at the GCU Invitational. First pitch is slated for 9 p.m. EST.