How it Happened
Rhode Island (1-5) opened the GCU Invitational with a tough 4-3 loss to San Jose State Friday morning.
San Jose State (6-6) used a three-run fourth inning to build a four-run lead. Rhody was limited to one hit in the first four innings, but the Rams got on the board in the fifth inning. Erika Yeager led the inning off with a double. Pinch runner Emily Zembik came around when Paige Julich followed with a double of her own.
In the top of the sixth, Melanie Martire drilled her third home run of the season, a two-run blast that pulled Rhode Island within one run. The Rams were unable to get anyone else on base the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Melanie Martire hit her team-leading third home run of the season. Three of her four hits on the year have been long balls.
- Senior Ali Summers had her first multi-hit game of the season, collecting a double and single.
- Junior Paige Julich had her second double of the season in addition to her team-leading fifth run batted in.
- Junior Brianna Heller appeared as a pinch runner and scored once.
- Freshman Erika Yeager hit her second double of the season.
- Freshman Madi Lewis had a strong relief outing. She pitched three innings, allowing just one run on three hits.
Stat of the Game
11 – Rhode Island's batters combined to strike out 11 times against two San Jose State pitchers.
Rhode Island plays Nevada at 4 p.m. EST Friday at the GCU Invitational.