How it Happened
Rhode Island powered its way to a big lead and then held on for its first victory of the season, beating Incarnate Word 7-5 Saturday at the Houston Classic.
The Rams (1-2) got out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning when freshman Erika Yeager delivered a two-run single with the bases loaded. Senior Jenna Cubello followed with a run-scoring single to cap the early outburst.
In the bottom of the second, the Rams flexed their muscle, using four extra base hits to put together another three-run rally. Senior Ali Summers and sophomore Melanie Martire hit solo home runs two batters apart. Following Martire's blast, junior Kylie Shivery and Yeager delivered back-to-back doubles to bring in one more run.
Incarnate Word (3-5) pieced together a three-run rally in the top of the fifth to make the score 7-4. The Cardinals got the first two batters on in the top of the fifth, but freshman Madi Lewis came on in relief and retired three straight batters to end the threat.
Incarnate Ward got the potential tying run into scoring position. With Rhody up 7-5 and runners on second and third, freshman Sarah Gunderson came on and retired the final batter to seal the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Becca Rogers (1-1) picked up her first win of the season and the 10th of her career by pitching 5.0 solid innings. She struck out five batters.
- Freshmen Madi Lewis and Sarah Gunderson combined for the final two innings to close the game out. Lewis allowed one run in 1.2 innings of work, and Gunderson retired the lone batter she faced to record her first career save.
- Freshman Erika Yeager doubled, singled and drove in three runs to lead the Rhody offense.
- Also recording multiple-hit games were sophomore Melanie Martire (home run, single, 2 runs scored) and junior Kylie Shivery (double, single, 2 runs scored).
- Senior Ali Summers homered, walked and scored two runs. She and Martire are tied for the team lead with three runs scored.
- Freshman Caileigh Holland hit her first career home run. She has hit safely in each of her first two career games.
- Senior Jenna Cubello singled and drove in one run.
Stat of the Day
0 – After committing four errors in the first two games of the season, Rhody's defense settled down and had a clean game Saturday morning, making 0 errors in 29 total chances.
Rhode Island plays Ole Miss later today. The game is tentatively scheduled for 3 p.m. EST and will begin 30 minutes after the conclusion of the Incarnate Word-Ole Miss contest.