How It Happened
Fordham's Madison Shaw hit two more home runs and drove in five runs to lead first-place Fordham to a 12-4 win over Rhode Island in Atlantic 10 action Sunday afternoon.
Shaw – who hit four home runs in the three-game series – hit a solo shot to center to lead off the top of the third, putting Fordham (32-16, 15-2 A-10) up 5-0. Rhode Island (12-25, 3-12 A-10) responded with two runs in the bottom of the frame. The first came when, with Marylynn Muldowney on third and Jenna Cubello at first, the Rams pulled off a double steal, with Muldowney scoring on the back end. Kylie Shivery singled to left to bring in Cubello and make it 5-2.
Fordham responded with three in the top of the fourth to push the lead back to 8-2. In the bottom of the fourth, Muldowney and Ali Summers had RBI singles to cut the deficit in half to 8-4. However, that was as close as Rhode Island got the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score
- Kylie Shivery singled and drove in one run. Shivery also had four assists on the day, three of which cut down runners at the plate.
- Marylynn Muldowney singled, stole two bases and scored twice.
- Paige Julich singled and walked.
- Lauren Klepchick doubled and singled. The double was the 20th of Klepchick's career, making her the 19th player in program history to hit at least 20 doubles.
- Ali Summers singled and drove in one run.
- Jenna Cubello walked, stole a base and scored one run.
- Brianna Heller appeared as a pinch runner and scored once.
- Fordham hit three home runs in the game, giving the visiting Rams six in the three-game series.
Stat of the Day
16-of-18 – Fordham scored at least one run in 16 out of the 18 innings it batted during the three-game series.
Rhody is back at home Tuesday for a non-conference doubleheader against Fairfield. First game starts at 3 p.m.