How It Happened
Rhode Island got the potential winning runs into scoring position in the bottom of the seventh, but the Rams lost in a wild one, 5-4, to George Washington Sunday.
In the first game of a doubleheader, the Rams (12-21, 3-8 A-10) held a 4-1 lead entering the top of the seventh inning. George Washington (19-20, 7-6 A-10) scored four runs to take its first lead of the game. After a two-run double by Megan Linn made it 4-3, Morgan Rinehart followed with a double of her own to tie the game. A Paige Kovalsky double brought in Rinehart with the eventual winning run.
In the bottom of the seventh, Rhode Island loaded the bases with one out. A fielder's choice cut down Lauren Klepchick at the plate, and a strikeout ended the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Kylie Shivery tripled, doubled, drove in two runs and scored one run.
- Sophomore Marylynn Muldowney singled three times and scored two runs She also had a diving catch in left field.
- Freshman Ally Dabroksi drove in her first career run with a two-out, pinch-hit single in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- Junior Ali Summers singled, was hit by a pitch and scored one run.
- Senior Olivia Hendricks and juniors Jenna Cubello and Danielle Gariglio each singled once. Cubello also drove in one run.
- Sophomore Paige Julich made a big defensive play with one out in the top of the fifth. With a runner on first, Julich snared a hard fly to right, then doubled the runner off first to end the inning.
Stat of the Game
10 - Rhode Island had 10 hits as a team, marking the fifth time this season the Rams have had at least 10 hits in one game.