RHODE ISLAND (2-1-0)
Starters: Morrissey (GK), D'Anna, Sengphilom, Haggerty, Luker, Fitzgerald, Derry, Ellis, Caso, Cavino, Goncalves
Substitutes: Schafer, O'Leary, Mogauro, Ross, Dapprich, Rosenthal
Starters: Beck (GK), Donnelly, Nunez, Letendre, Allen, Barone, Fitzsimmons, Ross, White, Clark, Jaramillo
Substitutes: Price, Cipriano, Starr, Weiss, Wilde. Manzella
55:38 - URI - Cavino (Fitzgerald)
How it Happened
Rhode Island earned its second win of the season in a 1-0 victory on the road at Wagner Sunday afternoon.
The Rams had multiple opportunities to get on the board in the first 45 minutes of play. Rhody outshot Wagner 8-5 with shots on goal coming from Rebecca D'Anna, Carrie Ellis, and Lily Caso. The teams went into the half tied at 0-0.
Ten minutes in to the second half of play, freshman Brooke Cavino was able to beat three defenders and get a shot past Wagner goalkeeper Delaney Beck to put the Rams up 1-0.
Rhody's strong defense limited the Seahawks to just one shot for the rest of regulation, and the Rams were able to run the clock out for the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Brooke Cavino had the winning goal for the Rams. It was her first career goal in her first collegiate start for Rhody.
- The Rams had seven shots on goal from Carrie Ellis (2), Rebecca D'Anna (1), Brooke Cavino (1), Lily Caso (1), Amanda Schafer (1), and Claire Ross (1).
- Freshman Teresa Morrissey spent the 90:00 in goal for the Rams. She had three saves. Her counterpart, Delaney Beck, made six stops.
- Rhode Island held the advantage in shots, 15-7.
- Rhody's defensive line was able to limit the Seahawks to just three shots on goal, all of which came in the first half of play.
- The win improves the Rams to 3-1-0 in the all-time series with Wagner.
Rhody continues its road swing on Friday at Pittsburgh. Game time is set for 5 p.m.