Starters: Morrissey (GK), Goncalves, Bentick, Sengphilom, Haggerty, Luker, Derry, Ellis, O'Leary, Caso, Dapprich
Substitutes: Mayo, Bike, Ross, Fitzgerald, Cavino, Rosenthal
Starters: Sheppard (GK), Conry, Lane, Williams, Wysocki, Reynolds, Keenan, Peterson, Cane, Hamilton, Wiley
Substitutes: Kikosicki, Pesante, Rumbold, Borea, Picicci, Salis
91:23 - URI - O'Leary
How it Happened
Rhode Island and New Hampshire had a scoreless regulation battle before freshman Natalia O'Leary scored the winning goal just 1:23 into the overtime period.
In the first half, the Rams had just one shot to the Wildcat's five. Things quickly turned around in the second half of play, as Rhody outshot UNH 8-4.
The persistent offense by the Rams carried into overtime, as freshman Kelly Fitzgerald had a cross that was controlled by O'Leary. The Marion, Mass. native then found the back of the net for her first career goal in her first collegiate game.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Teresa Morrissey started for the Rams in goal. Six other Rams made their first career starts - Karlee Luker, Emma Derry, Carrie Ellis, Natalia O'Leary, Lily Caso, and Evelin Dapprich.
- Morrissey made five stops in the 91:23 in goal. Her counterpart, Cat Sheppard, also had five saves.
- Luker, Ellis, and O'Leary led the Rams in shots, each adding two a piece.
- Rhody starts the season 1-0, winning its opener for the first time since the 2012 season.
- Four other Rhode Island newcomers saw playing time in the win, including Kelly Fitzgerald, Brooke Cavino, Claire Ross, and Laila Rosenthal.
- Lane Liz led New Hampshire with three shots.
The Rams stay on the road as they travel to face Quinnipiac on Wednesday, Aug. 28 at 4 p.m.