RHODE ISLAND (0-9-0, 0-1-0)
Starters: Freeman (GK), Waldron, D'Anna, Haggerty, Elworthy, Osmanski, Schafer, Goncalves, Ludviksdottir, Cabral
Substitutes: Brennan (GK), Reilly, Mayo, Sengphilom, Pignatelli, Mandarini
GEORGE WASHINGTON (5-3-1, 1-0-0)
Starters: Tapen (GK), Zaluski, McCormick, Dicristofaro, Silberman, Amador, Pavon, Pareja, Barreda, Desilva, Frese
Substitutes: Lorenzana (GK), Epperson, Coyne, Nornes, Heijst, Filipkowski, Prevost, Dasgupta, Ellinport
33:08 - GW - Pareja (Silberman)
39:16 - GW - Ellinport
42:14 - GW - Prevost (Heijst)
50:28 - GW - Zaluski (Silberman)
How it Happened
Rhode Island dropped its conference opener, falling 4-0 at George Washington Thursday night.
The Colonials struck first in the 33rd minute off a goal by Maria Pareja from Natalie Silberman. GW then pushed their advantage to 3-0 after goals by Beth Ellinport and Charley Prevost less than three minutes apart.
Senior Haley Brennan started the second half for the Rams. George Washington's Hannah Zaluski scored the fourth goal on the night in the 50th minute, and the Rams could not find the back of the net for the rest of play.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Rebecca D'Anna led the Rams with two shots, both were on goal.
- The Colonials outshot the Rams 20-6.
- Sophomore Julia Freeman started in goal for Rhode Island, making two saves. Senior Haley Brennan relieved her in the second half, stopping six shots.
- Rhode Island had zero corner kicks in the first 45 minutes of play. They managed to draw three in the second.
- Alexa Elworthy made her first career start for Rhody.
- Elworthy, along with senior Madison Waldron, freshman Amanda Schafer, and sophomore Kaitlyn Sengphilom each had one shot for the Rams.
The Rams return to the URI Soccer Complex after traveling on the road for the last four contests. Rhode Island is set to host Massachusetts on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 1:00 p.m.