Starters: Ligman (GK), Wakeford, Reynolds, Mencos, Ross, Hermannsdottir, Lieberman, Goncalves, Brodeur, Gylfadottir, Nardella
Substitutes: Brennan (GK), Mayo, Sengphilom, Ludviksdottir, Cummings, Osmanski
Starters: Sanderson (GK), Dell, Hallesjo, Brouwer, Tallent, Santo, Jerabek, Browne, Friedrichs, Gutzmer, Ito
Substitutes: Graves, Malancone, Hardy, Suarez, Tredway, Stahl, Gibson
VCU - 41:01 - Malancone - (unassisted)
URI - 58:13 - Hermannsdottir (unassisted)
VCU - 101:16 - Gutzmer (Dell)
How it Happened
Although Rhode Island forced double-overtime for the first time in seven contests, the Rams of Kingston could not prevent VCU from taking the victory, 2-1.
VCU got on the board first with a shot by Niki Malancone that was initially saved before her rebound found the back of the net with just four minutes to go until halftime.
After the break, Rhode Island struck back with a shot off of a free kick by Svana Hermannsdottir in the 58th minute.
The teams were tied 1-1 until the end of regulation play. Rhode Island goalkeeper Haley Brennan made two saves in the first overtime period to keep the score knotted at 1-1. However an insurance goal from VCU's Lyndsey Gutzmer - assisted by Megan Dell - ended the game in double-overtime, 2-1.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Svana Hermannsdottir scored her second goal of the season. She also led the Rams with three shots.
- Freshman goalkeeper Montana Ligman made her third start in goal and redshirt-sophomore Haley Brennan finished the game. The two combined for 13 total saves.
- Their counterpart, Audrey Sanderson, had zero saves on the night.
- As a team, VCU outshot Rhode Island 27-5.
- VCU also led in corner kicks, recording eight while Rhode Island had zero.
- The VCU Rams were called for seven fouls compared to Rhode Island's six.
The Rams return home on Sunday, Oct. 22 to face George Mason for senior day at 1 p.m. Prior to the kickoff, Rhody women's soccer's class of 2018 will be honored in a pre-game ceremony - Kylie Plaza, Jennifer Mencos, Taylor Ross, Svana Hermannsdottir, Rachael Lieberman, Katrin Gylfadottir, and Amanda Nardella.