How it Happened:
Rhode Island (8-6-1, 1-3-0 A-10) notched its first victory in conference play with a thrilling 2-1 overtime win at Temple (4-9-2, 1-3-0 A-10).
In the first half Ellie Bailes (Maidstone Kent, England) wasted no time for the Rams, beating the keeper to the right side in the 6th minute off a pass from Ellen Schroeder (Colchester, Conn.). Temple retaliated just before the close of the first half when Erin Lafferty scored off a free kick by Karly O'Toole in the 45th minute.
The second half was scoreless, forcing overtime. In overtime, Bailes quickly netted the deciding goal in the 92nd minute. Lucy Gildein (Topsfield, Mass.) threaded the pass to pick up winning assist.
Inside the Box Score:
- Rhode Island held an 22-12 advantage in total shots and an 9-4 edge in shots on goal.
- The Rams had four corner kicks, while the Owls had just two.
- Rhode Island was called for 20 fouls to Temple's 16.
- Temple keeper Tara Murphy turned away seven shots, while Rhody's Chelsea Broghamer stopped three.
- There were four yellow cards in the game, three of which came early in the second half. Each team received two.
- The Rams are 1-1-1 in overtime games.
Coach Michael Needham's Thought:
"We came out and scored a goal in the first five minutes, and we did a great job of putting pressure on Temple. In the second half we did a good job of playing quality soccer. It was nice to get our first conference win in dramatic fashion."
- The Rams are 12-8-0 in the all-time series vs. Temple.
- Rhody was playing only its fourth away game of the season.
- All of Rhode Island's points were all scored by players in their first season with the Rams (Bailes – 2 goals, Schroeder – 1 assist, Gildein – 1 assist) .
- Bailes now had four goals on the season.
The Rams travel to Saint Joseph's (6-5-2, 1-1-1 A-10) on Sunday, Oct. 14. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.