Women's Soccer: Fordham 2, Rhode Island 0 - FINAL
How it Happened
Fordham sophomore Kelsey Dougherty Howard netted her first goal of the season in the 37th minute of play, with the ball shooting into the top left of the net. Junior Liz Ker earned her first assist. In the final minutes of play, junior Annie Worden then scored the game-winner, her sixth goal of the season, with the ball hitting the crossbar and just inching in the net past Rhode Island freshman goalkeeper Reilly Lindsey.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond
- Rhode Island lost its fifth consecutive game and has yet to score in A-10 competition. They stand at 5-8-1 overall and 0-4-0 in A-10.
- Fordham improves to 8-6-2 overall and 3-2-1 in A-10.
- In all-time play, Rhode Island is now 9-6-1 in 16 meetings with the Rams; Rhode Island was shutout 2-0 in their last meeting in the Bronx, N.Y. on Oct. 31, 2010.
- Rhode Island edged Fordham in total shots, 11-10 and 4-3 in shots-on-goal.
- Freshman Marisa Ammaturo had a game-high four shots with three shots-on-goal, improving to 12 total and six shots-on-goal on the season. This is Ammaturo's second game of the season leading the Rams in shots, following the Oct. 9 loss at Charlotte.
- Senior Alexis Veith also attempted two shots on the day.
- For Fordham, Michaela Murphy, Annie Worden and Maria Lorena Canicatti all had two shots.
- Fordham out-cornered Rhode Island, 6-5, and committed 13 fouls to Rhody's 12.
- Reilly Lindsey, who has started all eight of eight appearances, finished with one save in goal for the Rams, while Rachel Suther turned away four shots for Fordham.
- Warwick, R.I. native and junior Janely Martinez made her third appearance of the 2011 season in Sunday's game.
Rhode Island hosts St. Bonaventure on Friday, Oct. 21 at the URI Soccer Complex, with a 7 p.m. scheduled start time.