Women's Soccer: Rhode Island 3, Harvard 2 - F (2OT)
Megan Rauscher scored her first collegiate goal when it counted most - in double-overtime - helping the Rams to a 3-2 victory on Sunday afternoon. The sophomore from Burlington, Ontario tallied the golden goal in the 108th minute on a shot to the upper right corner of the goal from 25 yards out. She had a chance to win it in the 102nd minute, but her PK attempt hit the left post.
Rhody jumped out to a 2-0 lead, as Dariann Sellitti scored in the ninth minute and Madison VanDine tallied an unassisted score in the 21st. Harvard got on the scoreboard in the 26th minute before forcing extra time off a set piece (corner kick) in the 70th minute.
What it Means
The win snaps a three-game losing streak for Rhode Island, in which the Rams were shutout versus UNH and on the road at Maine and Northeastern. Rhody has also surpassed its win total from a season ago.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond
- Rhode Island earned its first overtime victory of the season and the first double OT victory since Oct. 24, 2004.
- Freshman goalkeeper Ashley Harris improved to 2-1 on the season, tying her season-high with six saves.
- Madison VanDine scored her first goal in a Rhody uniform, who put a shot on-goal which Crimson GK Alexandra Millet could not handle.
- Stephanie Santos had just her second game without a shot on-goal. She leads the team with 12 shots on-goal in 2011.
- With Rauscher's goal, she became the fifth different URI player to find the back of the net this season.
Rhode Island hosts Iona on Friday, Sept. 23. Game time at the URI Soccer Complex is set for 5 p.m. and is part of a doubleheader with the men's soccer team (vs. Boston College, 7:30 p.m.)