RHODE ISLAND (8-7, 1-2 Atlantic 10)
Starters: Dale, Moffitt, Jones, Harvey-Carr, Jorgensen
Subs: Oberg, Brown
Davidson (10-6, 3-0 Atlantic 10)
Starters: Deegan, Turner, Welch, Welling, Konstans
Subs: Gould, Tabor, Fuller
How it Happened
Rhode Island ran out of gas late, as Davidson pulled away from the Rams in the fourth quarter for a 79-67 victory Sunday evening.
Rhody opened the game hot, building a 19-14 lead after the first quarter. Davidson battled back in the second quarter, using a strong offensive period (10-of-17 from the floor) to outscore Rhody 21-15 in the period, good enough to take a 35-34 lead into the break.
It stayed close through the third quarter, but Davidson stayed hot in the fourth, shooting 8-of-15 from the floor. The Wildcats outscored URI, 21-12, in the final 10 minutes, closing out the game without losing its lead in the final period.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Nicole Jorgensen had a double-double, scoring 32 points and 11 rebounds.
- The 32 points were a season-high for Jorgensen. She moved into 10th place in program history with 1,201 points, passing Dayna Smith (1,174 from 1992-96) and Marcie Byrd (1,175 from 1992-96).
- Redshirt junior Erin Jones added 19 points and four rebounds.
- Redshirt junior Davida Dale had eight points, seven rebounds and six assists. She played all 40 minutes for the sixth straight game.
- Davidson had five players in double figures. Freshman Suzi-Rose Deegan led the Wildcats with 21 points.
- Davidson had the edge from the perimeter, shooting 7-of-19 from deep, compared to 2-of-10 for Rhode Island.
- Davidson scored 17 points off 15 URI turnovers.
The Rams travel to Saint Joseph's Wednesday, Jan. 15. The game tips at 5 p.m. and is part of a doubleheader. The Rhody men play at Saint Joseph's at 7:30 p.m. that night.