Rhode Island Starters
Dale, Jones, Jorgensen, Moffitt, Vargas
Lopez-Senechal, Armstrong, Cavanaugh, Kramer, Hakes
How it Happened
Rhode Island used a balanced attack to cruise past visiting Fairfield 74-41 Sunday afternoon. The win keeps Rhody undefeated (3-0) at the Ryan Center this season.
The Rams (4-2) established a 29-7 lead in the first quarter and didn't look back. Rhody held Fairfield to single digits in both the first (7) and second (8) quarters, and went into halftime with a 40-15 lead.
After the break, the Stags (1-4) tried to chip away at the URI lead with a 3-pointer from Andrea Hernangomez to cut the Rhody advantage to 21. That was close as Fairfield could get, as the Rams earned their second straight victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt senior Davida Dale recorded game-highs in points (17), rebounds (8), assists (6) and steals (6).
- Senior Nicole Jorgensen and junior Marta Vargas each scored 11 points for the Rams.
- Jorgensen also had eight rebounds, one block, one assist and one steal before fouling out with just under eight minutes to go in the game.
- Freshmen Kassondra Brown and Brazil Harvey-Carr were efficient off the bench. Brown recorded nine points, seven rebounds, one assist and one block in 17 minutes of action while Harvey-Carr added eight points and a pair of rebounds in nine minutes on the floor.
- Junior Maia Moffitt dished out a season-high four assists while also grabbing six rebounds.
- The Rams held Fairfield to just 14 field goals and a 24-percent (14-58) showing from the field, a season-best for the Rhody defense.
- At the other end of the floor, Rhody connected at a 49-percent (28-57) clip, marking the third time this season URI finished better than 40 percent from the field.
- Rhode Island also out-rebounded Fairfield 46-34 and had a 25-8 advantage in bench scoring.
The Rams return to the Ryan Center on Wednesday, Dec. 4 to host Holy Cross. Gametime is set for 7:00 p.m. and will be broadcast locally on Cox/YurView or ESPN+.