Rhode Island Starters
Colome, Dale, Moffitt, Vargas, Jorgensen
La Salle Starters
Sweeney, Reese, Miller, Sanders, Morgan
How it Happened
Rhode Island could not win its battle at La Salle Wednesday morning, falling 77-71.
The Rams (7-15, 2-8 A-10) were held to just 21.4% shooting by the Explorer defense in the first period (3-of-15) to go into the second down 18-10.
Davida Dale scored four straight points in the first minute of the second quarter followed by an Elemy Colome 3-pointer for a strong start. Rhody got their first lead of the game (23-19) after a classic three-point play by Jalissa Ross to cap off the 13-1 run for the Rams at the 7:12 mark. After scoring just 10 points in the first quarter, the Rams answered by scoring 31 in the second, with 3-pointers from Colome and one each from Marta Vargas, Maia Moffitt, and Abby Streeter to go into the half up 41-32.
The Explorers (4-20, 1-9 A-10) cut the Rhody lead to two after coming out of the locker room on a 11-4 run. A Kayla Spruill 3-ball gave La Salle back its lead (53-51) at the 1:57 mark of the third. The Explorers held Rhody to just 12 points in the period go into the fourth with a lead of 57-53.
The final quarter of play was back and fourth, with the Rams getting as close as one point to the Explorers, but it wasn't enough as La Salle took the victory for its first win in conference play.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Davida Dale had 13 points and a perfect 5-of-5 performance at the free throw line. She added 10 rebounds for her first career double-double. Dale also added four steals and two blocks.
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome had a game-high 25 points. It was her fifth straight game scoring in double digits.
- Colome added four steals and three rebounds.
- Junior Nicole Jorgensen was the third Ram to score in double digits with 11.
- The Rams had the advantage in rebounds (38-35), points off turnovers (19-17), second chance points (10-4) and fast break points (9-5).
The Rams stay on the road to face Massachusetts on Sunday, Feb. 10. Game time is set for 2:00 p.m.